Having had enough of turkey and Christmas pudding, today was to be soup day.
The day started by pulling some delicious looking leeks. They weren’t huge, but there was enough.
The leek and potato soup recipe we followed, was based broadly on Mary Berry’s vichyssoise recipe.
Ingredients – (Serves 4-6)
– 60g (2oz) Butter
– 3 Large Leeks (straight from the garden if possible), Trimmed and Sliced
– 1 Small Onion – Chopped
– 2 Potatoes – Coarsely Chopped
– 1.25 litres (2 pints) Chicken Stock
– Salt & Black Pepper
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and leeks and cook gently for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally until soft but not coloured.
Add the potatoes, stock and season to taste. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Puree the soup with a blender or food processor until smooth.
If you like, why not add some home-made croutons:
– Cube some stale or day old bread
– Place on a baking tray
– Spray lightly with olive oil
– Season to taste
– Put in a pre-heated over at 180 degrees Celsius for 7 or 8 minutes.